Bear CNC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Z axis problem

3 posters

Go down

Z axis problem Empty Z axis problem

Post  rompskis Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Hello everyone,

This is a strange one. Our z axis moves fine on large moves and jogs but when running a ski core profile it will not rise up to make the thicker part in the middle of the ski. The Gcode is correct. The motor vibrates and makes noise but does not move. The light for the z axis on the bladerunner box does not flash. The z axis does move down for each deeper pass but does not make its moves in the middle of the pass. The router accurately returns to zero after attempting to cut the profile so it is not losing position and is not mechanically jambed.

Thanks,

Morgan

rompskis

Back to top Go down

Z axis problem Empty Re: Z axis problem

Post  Odin Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 am

Hey Morgan,

Not trying to be dumb in asking; but are you using Cut 3D to program you're profiling cut pathes?

Odin

Back to top Go down

Z axis problem Empty cut 3d

Post  rompskis Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:06 am

Yep, I am using cut 3d and we ran the same path the day before with no problems. Tested other profile paths and got the same problem.

rompskis

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:29 am

tested it the day before prior to setting up the metric Mach profile? Or after you did that?

Odin

Back to top Go down

Z axis problem Empty metric

Post  rompskis Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 am

We ran it with the metric set up, no problems. When we first got our machine and it was having z axis friction problems it would lose its zero but now it will fail to make moves and still have its zero at the end. DRO numbers are changing in mach3 but no pulse lights on bladerunner box and no movement of the motor. Could it be a problem with our computers parallel port?

Last edited by rompskis on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

rompskis

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 pm

yes I remember the issues you encountered with your Z at the start, however you had mentioned that was no longer happening?

Robert suggested slowing down the motor speed; What is the Z motor speed setting right now in metric.?

I assume you can physically jog the z up and down rapidly with out any problems, and as Tom [CandCNC] once told me;" if you can move the motors then all is working properly.", so I wouldn't expect it to be in the wiring or the port plugs. That is of course if they are all plugged in tightly. [have you double checked the motor plug?]

Odin

Back to top Go down

Post  rompskis Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:50 pm

With computer restart problem solved.

rompskis

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Wow really?

Hey how did you make out with the waist measurments on your cores being off?

Odin

Back to top Go down

Post  rompskis Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Pulley set screw was loose also so I think that may have been it, not restarting the computer. These are hard machines to trouble shoot so many variables with software, electronics, mechanical. Our sidecut accuracy problem ended up being how different bits cut in each material we got it worked out though. We needed to climb cut the aluminum.

Thanks for all the help.
Morgan

rompskis

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm

No, thank you Morgan. There is a huge learning curve to CNC not just these machines. Information like this is exactly what I would like to see here to make it that much easier for all users.

With most certainty I can attest to most issues being small or easiy rectified, but small issues can translate into large mistakes if gone unattended. Whenever we start a new cut program we run the code on scrap first [as you know by now] just to check everything out before the money shot happens.

I am very interested to learn your insights as to machining aluminum with your machine. And I am sure other users would like to read about your Z plate automatic setting modification too.

MC

Odin

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:15 am

You may want to upgrade your pulleys Morgan. You mentioned machining aluminum for your cassets, it wouldn't hurt to consider the option of beefier pulleys.......

15 tooth [small] pulley;

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=58597&GroupID=217

36 tooth [large] pulley;

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=58639&GroupID=217

Odin

Back to top Go down

Z axis problem Empty Z plate automatic setting?

Post  redbull Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:09 am

I am very interested in this modification. please share...
thanks

redbull

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down